Have you been thinking about an LED retrofit for your facility or property? Not sure how to go about it? You came to the right place. Here’s a primer on getting your facility up to date with modern lighting.
What is an LED Retrofit?
Retrofitting your facility means that you’re adding something new (such as a technology, component, or accessory) that the building didn’t previously have or that wasn’t a part of the original construction. The term “retrofit” is very much a synonym with the term “conversion.” In the case of lighting most retrofits that are happening today are LED lighting retrofits.
Why LED Lighting Retrofits?
LED lights are replacing traditional lighting technology across a wide spectrum of lighting applications. They are useful for interior lighting, exterior lighting, and small lighting in mechanical applications. Seemingly no matter what
How Will I Benefit From An LED Retrofit?
There are also creative business opportunities and financing options to complete an LED retrofit or conversion. Examples include partnering with Energy Savings Companies (ESCOs) or applying for Federal or State rebates.
What Are The Main Considerations During An LED Retrofit?
LEDs work a little different than most traditional lighting solutions. A few things you’ll need to know when retrofitting your facilities with LEDs include the following:
- Fixtures and luminaires are two different things. If you are looking to keep your present fixtures then you may slightly reduce the compatible conversion options when it comes to bulbs. If you’re replacing both the light and the fixture (housing) then you’ll be able to choose from everything on the market. In either case, most LEDs are made to be compatible with standard fixtures.
- The hardware for dimming LED lights is generally not compatible with traditional lighting solutions. You will need LED dimmers to go along with the new bulbs.
For a very detailed look at LED lighting for real estate organizations please consider downloading our ebook.
Can I See Some Examples of LED Retrofits? How About The Results?
Building Exterior Lighting:
- 63% reduction in energy costs
- $7,486 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- $1,880 in rebates for converting lighting to LEDs
- View the McKee Group outdoor storage facility case study
Parking Lot Lighting:
- 78% reduction in energy costs
- $1,178 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- View the Kevon One Office Center Parking Lot case study
Parking Garage Lighting:
- 66% reduction in energy costs
- $7,674 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- View the Franklin Institute parking garage case study
Sports Facility Lighting:
- 70% reduction in energy costs
- $7,011 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- $2,160 in rebates for converting lighting to LEDs
- View the Upper Chichester Gymnasium case study
- 55% reduction in energy costs
- View the Aston Township municipal street lighting case study
- 64% reduction in energy costs
- $617,624 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- View the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority case study
- 63% reduction in energy costs
- $20,967 annual reduction in maintenance costs
- $24,000 in rebates for converting lighting to LEDs
- View the Neumann University campus lighting case study
Did you know? Only 10% of the cost of operating a building over its lifetime is spent on the actual purchase of the facility. The remaining 90% is made up of various operating expenses. Much of this is an energy expense (heating, electricity) while other expenses involve structural maintenance. Of the electricity expenses, lighting is by far the largest one and upgrading your facility to LEDs is one of the smartest investments you can make. For more information or if you are interested in working with a certified lighting expert please contact Stouch Lighting. We can handle your LED retrofit project from A to Z.