Would you know an LED conversion if you saw one? What are the benefits of completing an LED retrofit anyway? What type of organization is best suited for the switch? Stouch Lighting is a manufacturer-neutral LED lighting distributor providing LED lighting solutions across a national footprint, and we wanted to showcase some of the projects we’ve recently completed in the greater Philadelphia area. In this way, you can learn a little about why LED technology outperforms conventional lighting in important ways, as well as understanding the significant benefits that come with a lighting retrofit. We’ll discuss three main metrics in which LED lighting solutions surpass the competition, and you’ll learn how other Philadelphia organizations have fared after conversion. Let’s get started!
First, how do LED lights outperform conventional lighting solutions?
There are three major objectives that can be met when an organization changes from standard lighting to LED lighting technology. Lighting solutions can be custom-crafted to prioritize and achieve whichever objectives are most important, or strike a balance between all three. Here are the three major ways LEDs outperform conventional lighting solutions:
- Energy consumption: Traditional filament-burning bulbs consume more energy than their LED counterparts because of the way they generate light. In a nutshell, traditional bulbs use a gas to interact with a filament that is heated by electricity. This creates both light and heat, but the vast majority of created energy is dissipated (wasted) as heat. LEDs use diodes with current running through them to create light, and very little energy is wasted. If this effect is multiplied by hundreds or even thousands of bulbs in a facility, the savings on energy costs will be significant. Many of our clients have seen drops of 50-70% in their energy bills.
- Maintenance costs: Some traditional lighting solutions require specialized, expensive equipment to maintain. For instance, have you considered how a bulb gets changed when parking lot lighting starts burning out? Or the material and labor costs of changing bulbs before their useful lifetime is up (as happens sometimes with metal halide lights)? LED lights have four to forty times the lifespan of traditional lights, and this translates to massive savings over time on replacement costs.
- Lighting quality: Do you know what Color Rendering Index (CRI) is? This is a term that describes how accurately a bulb represents the actual color of an object (learn more about light quality metrics here). LED lighting has an excellent CRI, excellent light distribution, and come in a variety of colors temperatures to meet the needs of just about every industry, applications or building. Lighting quality can be hard to compare unless you know what to look for. In the pictures below, check for light distribution, brightness, and color rendering differences after an LED retrofit.
Recent LED conversions in the greater Philadelphia area
Stouch Lighting serves clients all over the eastern seaboard, so there’s a chance you may have seen some of our work. Here is a quick look at some of the recent LED retrofits we have completed in the greater Philadelphia area. Be sure to visit our Case Studies page to see projects in other areas, too!
- LED retrofits for educational facilities:
Neumann University in Aston, Pennsylvania contracted with Stouch Lighting to update their exterior and parking lot lighting. We were excited for the opportunity to create a better environment for students, faculty, and visitors alike. We replaced more than 300 Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights throughout the campus. The results were impressive: Neumann University reduced their energy consumption by more than 259,000 Kwh (which equalled 63%), and saved themselves more than $20,000 in annual maintenance costs. The school was eligible for more than $24,000 in energy rebates, and succeeded in their objective to create a safe, bright, welcoming campus - even at night. (Read about LED lighting versus metal halide lighting HERE.)
- Commercial LED conversion: Olde Sproul Shopping Center on Baltimore Pike is a great example of a commercial space saving money and improving customer experience by completing an LED retrofit. Stouch Lighting converted the parking lot lighting, replacing 35 high-wattage High Pressure Sodium (HPS) fixtures with LED fixtures that reduced their energy consumption by 68%! Kaiserman Company (which owns the shopping center) also saved nearly $1,500 in maintenance costs, and was eligible for $1,200 in rebates. But the facility managers and owners are not the only ones that benefit. Lower overhead costs can be passed on to tenants, and customers visiting the mall benefit from brighter, safer parking lots at night. Read about LED lighting versus sodium lights HERE.)
- LED retrofit for parking garages: The Franklin Institute is one of the premiere science, research, and innovation centers in Pennsylvania, and we were honored to help them with a recent LED retrofit for their parking garage. More than 280 High Intensity Discharge (HID) and fluorescent lights were replaced with LED bulbs and fixtures. Stouch Lighting also installed vacancy sensors to further boost energy efficiency (read more about sensors and how they can enhance your current lighting situation here). The picture tells a thousand words, but here are some of the objectives the Institute was able to achieve: a 66% reduction in energy consumption, 896,000+ lbs greenhouse gas reductions, and more than $7,500 in annual maintenance costs. Additionally, the parking garage is now a place where visitors to the Franklin Institute feel welcome and safe.
Are you a facility manager or owner in the Philadelphia area curious about LED retrofits? We’re a lighting solution provider with great expertise - let us help you!
The first step in solving a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem in the first place. When is the last time you assessed where you can make improvements in your energy footprint as well as your pocketbook? Completing an LED retrofit is a great way to reduce energy consumption and improve your bottom line. Not only does LED lighting technology use fewer resources, the bulbs and fixtures last longer, and they provide higher quality light.
Beginning the whole process and seeing it through may seem intimidating at first. Stouch Lighting is eager to help you assess your current lighting situation, craft a custom solution, and be as hands-on as you need for implementation. Still not sure? Let us run a free Return on Investment calculation for your organization, so that you have a better idea of the upfront costs and potential savings. Please contact us today and get started on your path to having an energy efficient lighting solution!